Sunday, May 3, 2009

Caps For Sale


We recently read the book Caps For Sale, written by Esphyr Slobodkina. A tale of a peddler, some monkeys and their monkey business!

A couple of activities that we created to go with the book were a lot of fun.

What you will need:
As many hats/caps of any size, colour or shape as
you can find. Try and provide a variation for the second activity. I searched out my winter and summer hats and my horse riding helmet!

The first thing I did was to balance as many hats/caps/helmets as I could find in the house on my head as I read the book the second time. I got Henry to help as the pile on my head got taller.

I then challenged Henry to balance as many hats as he could on his head. It was a challenge for both of us, with all the hats of different sizes nothing fitted very well together! Half the fun was watching them all topple over.



The second activity was to take photos of each of the hats on Henry's head and create a little book of hats. With the book we did two things:

The first was to find the hat in the pile that matched the hat in the photo.

Second was that we tried to guess who may wear each hat and what they may do wearing it. I tried to spark his imagination with so many winter woolly hats...one we decided was for the snowman, another for a skier, and another for an Eskimo!

These are all the hats Henry tried on and the photos we created for our book.


No comments:

Post a Comment